Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Beginnings

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get this post out. I have been enjoying my time here in Winneba that I just havent had the chance to get this typed up. I arrived here about 2 1/2 weeks ago, after a long flight over here from the U.S. I took a few days to get adjusted to the time change. I am four hours ahead of everyone back home.
It is so great being back here in Winneba. It is definitely different being here by myself, but it has been a great time of looking to God for more then I have in a while. It has had its challenges already but nothing that I cant handle! God has been so good to me and I am so glad that I have him in my daily life to give me the abilities, and the strength to complete the task he has called me to.
As soon as I arrived to my new home I was greeted by my new family! There is about seven of them that live here, between two homes. I live with Mercy, she is the head mistress of the boys school. She has a large family, two of her sisters live here, and her mother as well. Here one sister has two children, and the two little ones are like my best friends, they are always wanting to be around me and I love it!! Awo is seven, as she is commonly called, that is her day of the week that she was born on, and Nenyi he is four, he is quite the mischievious boy! They are two of the sweetest kids I have ever met! They now call me Auntie Amanda ( well pronounces here a lot of time is Amenda ).
School was supposed to start once I arrived here, but once I arrived I was informed that school was postponed one week due to a national census. This census called for teachers to go around town to collect the information and of course this couldnt be done while they were on break for six weeks, they had to start it once school was supposed to start :) School was scheduled to open on the 21st of September but then was pushed back yet another day because they decided that it was a national holiday because the first president of Ghana's birthday was that day. So finally Wednesday came and school was FINALLY opened!
I have been assigned in class 6 A & B, which each class has about fifty boys in it. I have been given the task of English teacher. It is definitely a task that I cant take lightly, English is one of the most important subjects that these boys will learn. For them to move onto JHS next year ( which I am believing God they all will move on) they need to be able to read and speak English fluently. So I have a huge task ahead of me!!! I will need all your prayers for my teaching abilities and that God will give each one of my students the ability to learn a language that is not their first language!!!
As well as English teacher, I have been given the HUGE task of starting a school library. I am starting this project pretty much from scratch. I was told that we have library books that I will be able to use but the two boxes of books that I have will just be the beginning. I hope to get schools, and organizations back home in the U.S.  to get involved and help me to make this school library one where students can come and learn how to enjoy READING!!!
So I just wanted to let you all know that everything is going great! I appreciate all your prayers and support while I am over here!!! It means so much to know what an amazing support system I have back home. Thank you for everything that each one of you has done for me already and  for what many of you plan on doing for me in the future!
Check back in a week or so I will let you in on how school is going and more new and exciting things here in Winneba!!!  I will get pictures up soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment